Monday, March 14, 2011

Turks

So I was waiting at 8 & 1/2 last night to get dinner, and while waiting I couldn't help but overhear the conversation of two boys and a girl next to me.

They looked to be around my age, no older than mid to late twenties, and they kept talking about "spring break." One of the boys said he had ordered "5 bottles of champagne" for the flight, which I found strange, because can you bring your own champagne in coach? Isn't that frowned upon? Then the girl kept referring to "Turks", and again, from my frame or reference, what is this "Turks"? Is that some small town in Florida I haven't heard about?

And then the kicker. They would fly to Tampa, pick someone up, then stop to refuel. In a plane. As in a private plane. As in a private jet chartered by this boy to fly his champagne soaked friends to a beautiful, mystical island in the sun.

FOR SPRING BREAK.

Who are these people!? What breed of Richmonders is this that does such glamorous things? And they all just talked about it like it was so normal. If I was taking a private jet to "Turks" for my spring break I would be shouting it from the rooftops and peeing myself a little. The most exciting spring break I ever had in college was a one night trip to SAVANNAH, as in two hours from Charleston. And there was a giant storm and the entire city blacked out and I thought I was going to die via tornado, my worst fear.

I seriously feel like I just saw a unicorn. I had no idea there were people in Richmond that did such things. New York sure. LA yeah. But twenty something people in Richmond (people who I am assuming are in school if they are taking a spring break, unless that is some kind of secret rich person holiday that only rich people know about) take private, champagne party jets to "Turks"!?

I need to make some new friends.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...