Monday, February 20, 2012

Super Shrimp Salad of Deliciousness.

I have been eating far too well the last few weeks. And by well I do not mean well in the wellness sense. I mean chocolate brioche bread pudding with salted caramel. This is a thing I actually ate. I have also eaten multiple crab cake sandwiches with multiple servings of sweet potato fries. Now let me clarify something. This is not a "I just started a diet" post. I do not believe in diets at all actually, if by diet you mean eating in a certain way for a certain amount of time to some extreme point (either not eating enough, or eating only cottage cheese and bacon) in order to rapidly lose weight. 

It ain't gonna work. Believe me I've tried. More than a few times. But I do believe in eating right. My normal philosophy is to make good choices 90% of the time and then splurge once or twice a week on that Mexican dinner or burger or Eggs Benedict.

However because of life being all busy and hectic, my ratio has tipped more to eating right 70% of the time and splurging the other 30. Okay fine, closer to 50/50. I may have bought a package of Cadbury Cream Eggs.

So anyways I'm getting back on track. And I thought a fun way to do that would be to post pictures of my healthy dinners. I love to cook/prepare foods and I also haven't done that enough lately. So tonight I had...(imagine a drum roll):


The World's Greatest Salad. What went in it:

     -Mixed baby greens lettuce
     -A handful of chopped Trader Joe's Feta cheese
     -Marinated artichoke hearts (courtesy of the Whole Foods deli bar)
     -Spiced shrimp (courtesy of the Whole Foods fish counter)
     -Kalamata olives (I am tentatively starting to like these, which is big for me, because I hate all other     
      olives with a fiery passion)
     -Chickpeas
     -A handful of chopped mint leaves
    -Chopped roma tomatoes
    
I topped it all of with my Martha's lemon vinagrette (sorry, I reflexively feel the need to call her my Martha, because she has come through for me time and time again when it comes to knock it out of the park basics); which I made like this:
     -Combine 1 tsp Dijon mustard (I used Spicy Brown) with 2 tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice + 1 tsp finely  
     grated lemon zest + salt and pepper to taste. Slowly add 6 tbsp of EVOO (secret, I used 2, tasted the 
     recipe and thought it was fine, definitely lemony but I thought it was perfect and did not need the   
     extra 4 tbsp, it's a personal choice)

I added a slide of a whole wheat baguette, plus one glass of Pinot Grigio. And voila-the perfect healthy dinner (and if you say one word about Pinot Grigio not being "healthy" I will slap you in the mouth, because no one puts Pinot in the corner, or something like that). And for dessert (because I am physically dependent on something sweet after dinner) I had a 60 calorie, sugar free chocolate pudding cup.

Not as satisfying as a Cadbury Cream Egg. But I have my 10% for that.

Coming tomorrow: salmon burgers with cooked kale! I know. The suspense is unreal. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...