Wednesday, March 5, 2008

the cutting edge 3?!


So imagine my surprise. Here I am enjoying my normal morning routine: peanut butter toast, coffee, Gilmore Girls, when I see a commercial for The Cutting Edge 3. Now this might be a made for ABC Family movie, but still. My beloved, childhood movie The Cutting Edge has spawned not one, but two sequels! Growing up, I probably watched this movie about once a week. I wanted to be Moira Kelly in this movie, the glorious 80s hair, the ice-skating rink in her backyard, the awesome spandex outfits, the hunky hockey player love/hate relationship. At a very impressionable age, I learned from this movie how to take a tequila shot. Although at the time I didn't really know what tequila was, and I simply thought adults took every shot by first licking salt off of their wrists and then shoving a lime in their mouths. Thank God I quickly learned this was not the case. I still chuckle to myself every time I hear the phrase "toe pick." I can't not watch figure skating at the Winter Olympics. Let's just say in the pantheon of movies you love when you're little, The Cutting Edge, for me, was right up there with Jurassic Park and Wild Hearts Can't be Broken ( I was a weird kid okay). Yet I've accepted that most people do not view The Cutting Edge with the same adoration. In fact, most people have never even heard of it, unless I have forced them to watch it with me. So the fact that two sequels to this movie have been made absolutely blew my mind. Because it means that I am not the only one who loves this film or figure skating romantic comedies. In fact it means there is probably a whole group of people out there, anonymous but devoted, who are like me, who absolutely have to watch The Cutting Edge when it comes on television, all prior plans be damned, who still have crushes on D.B. Sweeney, and who get a little choked up at the end of the movie when they pull off the fancy schmancy, illegal ice skating move and smooch at the end of their routine.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...