Tuesday, December 9, 2008

what have I done?


Today while I was furiously applying to online nanny agencies (when I move back to Richmond it is of the utmost importance that I work nonstop to save up for a possible foray to teach English abroad, because plane tickets to Thailand-not so cheap-and as the protagonist of one of my all time favorite books, "The Nanny Diaries" so rightly put it-being a nanny is probably the best I can get paid at this point in my life without taking my clothes off). But I digress (I seem to always digress whenever I put in a parenthesis, note to self, stop straying into the dangerously tangential world of parenthesis).

So as I was online applying and agreeing to various background checks and drug screenings or what not, I put the television on Bravo because there was a Real Housewives of Orange County marathon, and I thought, "now there's a show that won't really distract me." Because up until now I had never watched this show. I resisted with all my might, because I was convinced I would hate it. I was completely addicted to the Real Housewives of NYC and that should have tipped me off to the fact that these shows, no matter the locale, are television crack. Yet I told myself that the only reason I loved the NYC Housewives is because it was filmed in NYC and I pretty much love anything filmed in NYC (filmed and set are very different things) i.e. Gossip Girl, Sex and the City, 30 Rock, etc. and etc. But I was very, very wrong, because after one episode of the Orange County housewives, I am hooked. Like it's going to be a problem how hooked I am. And yes I'm ashamed and guilty about the whole thing, and I know I should run screaming from reality programming that follows around rich, Botoxing women and their fake hair and boobs. But I can't help it. These peopleare compelling. I mean there are kids in juvie and dissaproving mothers. And that one lady (don't really know all the names yet), has the world's hottest son (he's 18 okay!). And there was a moment when he talked to the camera about sex and how he wasn't having sex despite his hottness and the fact that many people his age were having sex, and he said this verbatim, "I mean I'm not really a sex person."

Any show that has someone in all sincerity declaring how they are not a "sex person", well how can you not love that?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...